As we age, the need for balance and fall prevention methods grows more and more important. Falls are the number 1 cause of injury in adults over 60 years of age. Therefore, building strength, maintaining balance, and the health of your feet are of the utmost importance for maintaining a healthy, safe lifestyle for aging individuals.
Some ways that you can help prevent falls from occurring include:
- Engage in regular physical activity (foot & ankle exercises) to help build strength, flexibility, and endurance over time
- Wear proper footwear. Avoid loose-fitting shoes or walking barefoot, wear shoes with a non-skid sole
- Remove tripping hazards: remove loose fabrics like rugs and long curtains, keep walkways clear of large
furniture to avoid the need for difficult maneuvering, use non-slip mats on slippery surfaces like the shower
- Always use railings or handles when descending steps
- In some cases, customized orthotics may be recommended
Treatment plans will vary from patient to patient according to the cause of the balance difficulties, the severity of the condition, and other individualized factors. Contact our office today at (973) 627-7090 and schedule your appointment to get more information on customized balance and fall prevention plans to help ensure that you remain your healthiest self.